Delicious, made-from-scratch casserole! With the use of Greek yogurt and whole-wheat breadcrumbs, it’s also a lighter version.
Recipe from Kristen’s Kitchen Blog
- 2 ½ pounds broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped crimini or button mushrooms
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2% preferred)
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 ¼ cups whole-wheat breadcrumbs (homemade* or store-bought), divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli and boil for 4 minutes. Transfer to a colander, rinse with cold water, and drain. Place broccoli in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the broccoli.
- In the same saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for 30 seconds. Whisk in the milk and half and half. Bring to a low simmer and continue to whisk constantly until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and Greek yogurt.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl with the broccoli and mushrooms. Add the onion, egg, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, and ½ cup of the breadcrumbs. Stir to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and stir into the remaining ¾ cup breadcrumbs. Stir in the remaining ½ cup cheddar. Sprinkle breadcrumb topping over the casserole.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more, until topping is lightly browned and casserole is hot. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Make ahead instructions: The casserole may be assembled and baked up to 1 day ahead. Reheat before serving, covered, at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes.