Palak Pulao (Spinach Pulao)
Thanks so much to Martine over at Robert Rose for sending me this cookbook! I’m so excited to try more recipes soon. 🙂
- 2 cups Indian Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tbsp chopped green chiles, preferably serranos
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 ½ lbs fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- Place rice in a large bowl with plenty of cold water and swish vigorously with fingers. Drain. Repeat 4 or 5 times until water is fairly clear. Cover with 3 to 4 inches cold water and set aside to soak for at least 15 minutes or for up to 2 hours.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin seeds, chiles, and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add spinach, cumin, and turmeric and sauté for 2 minutes. Drain rice and stir into saucepan. Pour in 3 ½ cups cold water and add salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat as low as possible and cook, covered with a tight-fitting lid, without peeking, for 15 minutes. Lift lid and quickly sprinkle lime juice over rice. Cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Let rest for 5 minutes. Gently fluff with fork and carefully spoon onto platter to serve.