recipe courtesy of MasterChef Cooking Classes, Le Cordon Bleu
- 1/4 lb sliced bacon cut cross-wise into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 lb red cabbage, cored, quartered, and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- In a large pot on medium high heat, sauté the bacon until crisp.
- Add sugar, vinegar, and salt to bacon fat then bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage and apples, stir.
- Cover and summer on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cook ’til tender.
Can be made in advance. Reheat in microwave or sauté pan.