Slow Cooker Beer and Cheese Potato Chowder
Recipe courtesy of pillsbury.com
- 2 lb. (6 medium) russet potatoes, peeled, chopped (6 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 (12-oz.) can beer
- 8 oz. (2 cups) shredded Cheddar and American cheese blend
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Rye bread, cut into cubes and toasted, if desired
- In 3 to 4-quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, onion, celery, carrot, garlic and pepper; stir gently to mix. Pour broth and beer over vegetables.
- Cover; cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, coarsely mash vegetables with potato masher or fork. Add cheese and whipping cream; stir until cheese is melted. Cover; cook an additional 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with croutons.