In order to be fully prepared to spend more than an hour in the kitchen, one must prepare both oneself and the kitchen. Follow these simple steps for a harmonious cooking environment.
- Chill a bottle of wine for dinner. I personally love my Southern Living terra cotta wine chiller. Fill with ice water, and submerge the bottle. It will be ready by dinner two hours from now.
- Make yourself a cocktail. My cocktail of choice today is mango juice, Paula’s Texas Orange, and a splash of Luna Zul tequila. (It’s already 90 degrees in Central Texas, so I need something cold and fruity.)
- Empty out your dishwasher of any clean dishes so you’re ready to load it up with the pots, pans, etc. you are going to use for this meal.
- Wipe down the counters and pull out your ingredients.
- Take a few more sips from the cocktail you made in step 2.
- Check on the temperature of the wine, even though it’s only been chilling for about 10 minutes.
- Grab a garbage bowl and/or your compost pail.
- Take one more sip of courage from your cocktail.
- You’re ready to get cooking!