The "After-Burner" Chili
This recipe is from my friend, Izzy. He’s a great cook. I’ve previously posted another one of his recipes, BBQ Pulled Pork.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 Anaheim chile peppers, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, sliced
- Place 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot and place the pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir the onions, garlic, beef and sausage until meats are browned(drain).
- Pour in the tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and broth.
- Season with chili powder, cumin, sugar, oregano, cayenne, coriander, salt .
- Stir in one can of beans, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat remaining oil.
- Cook Anaheim, serrano and habanero peppers in oil until just tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir into the pot and simmer 2 hours.
- Stir in remaining 2 cans of beans and cook 45 minutes more.
Please follow and like us: